Tuesday, May 08, 2007

QUIZ SIXTEEN

Sunday 6th May 2007

Round One – General Knowledge


1. British soldiers in Iraq are showing their support for Prince Harry by wearing T-shirts with which two-word slogan?

2. In America, who has been jailed for 45 days for driving offences?

3. Which artist has placed 31 life size human sculptures on rooftops around London?

4. Which singer’s second album, “N.B.” was released last week?

5. Which singer’s sixth album entitled “Volta” was released this week?

6. Madonna at H&M, Kate Moss at Top Shop: who else is promoting her own range of clothing in New Look next week?

7. Which Anya Hindmarch creation sold out in a matter of hours after its launch on 25th April this year?

8. What does Gok Wan do on the telly?

9. Which part of the hand is also a mountain range in Sri Lanka?

10. Which part of the human body is named for the Latin for little mouse?

11. Which part did Beyonvce play in Austin Powers; Goldmember?

12. Which actress helped Alistair MacGowan make a “Big Impression”?

13. Which Superman committed suicide in 1959?

14. What is philology?

15. And and But are examples of which type of word?

16. The Khyber Pass links which two countries?

17. The Gulf Of Riga is an inlet of which sea?

18. In Greek mythology which Goddess was the avenger of crime and the dispenser of justice?

19. Quadruped and biped are familiar terms, but what is a palmiped?

20. In which European palace is the seventeenth century Hall Of Mirrors?


Round Two - 1997

As Tony Blair celebrates 10 years at Number 10, here's a memory-jogger of events which happened in 1997...







Round Two-And-A-Half – Who Am I?
5-point clue I am an actress and singer born in London in 1976 with the surname of Ponting and the middle name of Kimberley. My earliest memory is of my alcoholic father dangling me by my ankles over a balcony. Who am I?


4-point clue I once fronted an all girl pop group called Milan, who supported East 17 on tour, and in 2002, I was a bridesmaid at the wedding of David Gest and Liza Minelli. Who am I?


3-point clue I topped the UK singles charts in 1999. My follow-up single entitled, “I’ve Got You” peaked at number 4 in the same year. Who am I?


2-point clue I played the love interest of Hugh Grant in the film Love Actually. Who am I?


1-point clue I sprang to fame after landing the role of Tiffany in Eastenders. Who am I?
I


Round Three – A Variety

Answers contain a part of the body…
1. In which film does Rebecca De Mornay play a psychotic nanny?

2. Phaseolus vulgaris is the scientific name for which edible item?

3. Who led the Electric Mayhem Band on the Muppet Show?

4. Which US band released the albums “Naked”, “Remain In Light” and “Little Creatures” in the 80’s?

5. Which world famous café/restaurant - originally opened in 1989 - can be found at 1 Fillmore Gardens, South Kensington, in London?


Cards…and Card Games
6. What is the best hand in a game of poker?

7. What is Pokemon short for with regard to Pokemon cards?

8. What name is given to Bruce Forsyth’s female assistants on Play your Cards Right?

9. Which card game that employs a 32 card deck shares its name with the surname of a Formula One champion?

10. If hearts = love, diamonds = wealth, spades = death, what do the Clubs signify?


Literature
11. Which 1951 sci-fi novel by John Wyndham predicted the technologies of bio-warfare and global mass destruction?

12. Which 1966 sensational novel by Jacqueline Susan told of three pill-popping showbiz women, perfectly crystallising the decadence of the 60’s?

13. Which 1974 cult book by Robert M Pirsig blended machines and mysticism on a life-changing trip across the USA?

14. Which British author wrote the Eighties books “Money” and “London Fields”?

15. What was the name of Hanif Kureishi’s debut novel about a North London British-Pakistani boy’s coming of age set in 70’s Britain?



Currencies...
Name the countries in which you would spend the following notes and coins...






Round Four - Film Quotes
Simply identify the films from which these quotes were taken

1. "I've never told anyone this before, but I hate flying. So it would be an awful shame to die now."
"You think that's bad? I owe 100 grand to a fat-ass loan shark which I spent on a stripper named Molly Mounds."
"Boy, that's bad."

2. "I am going to teach you the meaning of commitment. Fourteen years ago I was forced to make a commitment to an eight by nine cell, now you are going to be forced to make a commitment. You could say I'm here to save you."

3. "Okay. Here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner. 42 losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No no no. Focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick..."

4. "Nice shoes. Italian. You hung up, Stu. I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye. I feel bad about the pizza guy. But I couldn't miss seeing you and Kelly reunited. You don't have to thank me, nobody ever does. I just hope your newfound honesty lasts. Because if it doesn't, you'll be hearing from me."

5. "You put a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?"
"This is 1982, Bobbi, c'mon!"
"That's right, it's 1982! Get out of the '60s. We don't have this mentality anymore."
"Well, you should have seen the cover they wanted to do! It wasn't a glove, believe me."

6. "Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out."
"Wiping out the human race? That's a great idea. That's great. But more of a long-term thing. I mean, first we have to focus on more immediate goals."

7. "Whoa! Your stock just went up in my book, my friend. Pop the hood, let me see what you got under... "
"Hey! Hotshot! What do you think you're doing? This is a Ford Grand Torino. It's not some crappy camper slash apartment. There are rules."
"Okay, okay."
"You do not bang on the hood. You never under any circumstances drive. And you will certainly not put your coffee mug on the roof of the car. In fact, no coffee in the car whatsoever. Coffee goes on the ground, you get in the car, we go."

8. "The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing shit they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell... and those bars slam home... that's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it."

9. "I want a guy who can play 36 holes of golf, and still have enough energy to take Warren and me to a baseball game, and eat sausages, and beer, not lite beer, but beer. That's my ad, print it up."
"Fatty who likes golf and beer." Gee, where are you gonna find a gem like that?

10. "Really? All your girlfriends wanted to have sex with virgins too? That's funny... I didn't even know you g-girls talked like that. I think my first time might be your best time too. Well I knew it, you know what? I knew that you'd react that way and I knew that you would want to lead me through my first sexual encounter will all the compassion and care that someone would give to their soulmate."

Champion's League - Week Five
Half-way through our competition to find the George Quiz's "Champion Of Champions". The points earned by the teams this week were as follows:
Missing The Mack - 5 points
Diggers On Tour - 4 points
The Magnificent 7 - 3 points
Captain Natalia - 2 points
The League Against Alternative Medicine - 1 point (no extra points for writing with a funky pen!!!)

And, yes, Arse Pizza did take part in the quiz, but came 7th!! Current positions shown in the table in the column on the right.

1 comment:

Mike Smail said...

General Knowledge
1. “I’m Harry”
2. Paris Hilton
3. Anthony Gormley
4. Natasha Bedingfield
5. Bjork
6. Lily Allen
7. The “I’m Not A Plastic Bag” bag
8. Tells women “How To Look Good Naked”
9. The Knuckles
10. Muscle
11. Foxy Cleopatra
12. Ronnie Ancona
13. George Reeves
14. The study of language
15. Conjunction
16. Afghanistan & Pakistan
17. Baltic Sea
18. Nemesis
19.A bird with webbed feet
20. Palace Of Versailles

Round Two - 1997
1. Katrina & The Waves – "Love Shine A Light"
2. The McLibel Two
3. Timothy McVeigh
4. Roy Lichtenstein
5. Liar Liar
6. The Prodigy – "The Fat Of The Land"
7. William Hague
8. Budweiser
9. Louise Woodward
10. Glenn Hoddle
11. Hale Bopp
12. Reef

Round Two-And-A-Half
Who Am I?
I am Martine McCutcheon

Round Three

1. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
2. Kidney Bean
3. Dr Teeth
4. Talking Heads
5. Sticky Fingers

6. Royal Flush
7. Pocket Monster
8. Dolly Dealers
9. Piquet
10. Knowledge

11. The Day Of The Triffids
12. Valley Of The Dolls
13. Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance
14. Martin Amis
15. Buddha Of Suburbia

16. Israel
17. Russia
18. Peru
19. Estonia
20. Brazil

Round Four
1. Armagheddon
2. Cape Fear
3. Cars
4. Phone Booth
5. Spinal Tap
6. 12 Monkeys
7. Starsky & Hutch
8. Shawshank Redemption
9. There’s Something About Mary
10. 40 Year Old Virgin