Thursday 27th November 2008
Round One – General Knowledge
1. Whose version of Snow Patrol’s “Run” is set to be this year’s Christmas Number One?
2. How is the Swedish DJ Jonas Altberg better known?
3. Which 1976 album cover featured the four members of the band sat in a helicopter?
4. Will Champion and Guy Berryman provide the rhythm section for which band?
5. Which hip hop band was responsible for the songs “Insane In The Brain” and “A To The K”?
6. In which country does the Benicassim festival take place?
7. What is the name of the farm on which Glastonbury is held?
8. Which band did Charlie Simpson form after leaving Busted?
9. What song was Michael Jackson singing when he was interrupted by an arse-wiggling Jarvis Cocker?
10. When Eminem sang “Stan” at the 2001 Grammy Awards, who sang Dido’s parts?
11. Which song opens Radiohead’s “OK Computer”?
12. Which act won the inaugural Mercury Music Prize in 1992?
13. In which city are the music venues The Junction and the Corn Exchange?
14. Which indie band was fronted by Sophie Ellis Bextor?
15. Which footballer appeared on the cover of the first Wedding Present album?
16. Which band had Nineties hits with “Superstylin’” and “I See You Baby”?
17. Who recorded “Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto” in 1996??
18. What is the festive connection between Paul Young, Kylie Minogue and Chris Martin?
They each sung the first line to the three versions of “Do They Know its Christmas”
Round Two: Album Covers
1. Manic Street Preachers – Send Away The Tigers
2. Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
3. New Order – Power, Corruption & Lies
4. Rolling Stones – Tattoo You
5. Blur – Modern Life Is Rubbish
6. Gnarls Berkeley – St Elsewhere
7. Aphex Twin – Window Licker
8.Scissor Sisters – Taa Daa
9.Chemical Brothers - Surrender
10. The Streets – Original Pirate Material
11. AC/DC – For Those About To Rock, We Salute You
12. Blink 182 – Enema Of The State
13. Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream
14. The Doors – Strange Days
15. Suede – Dog Man Star
1. Who represented the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest?
2. Which London postcode provided the title of Madness’ 2008 single?
3. What time was it in the title of Panic At The Disco’s 2008 single?
Nine In The Afternoon
4. Which drinks company promised everyone in America a free can of their product if Guns’N’Roses actually released “Chinese Democracy” in 2008?
5. Which band backed Rhianna on a live version of “Umbrella” at this year’s Brit Awards?
6. Which band appeared in miniature form in the glove compartment of a Toyota in a 2008 advert?
7. What is Pink’s real name?
8. When Girls Aloud won Pop Stars:The Rivals what was the name of the boy band?
One True Voice
9. Which famous film was made in the same school that was used for the video of “Baby One More Time”?
10. Which singer played two nights at Wembley Arena in 2007 as part of her “Oral Fixation” tour?
11. Danny, Dougie, Harry & Tom are collectively known as which boy band?
12. Who was “Left Outside Alone” in 2004?
The Beatles Cover Versions
13. Which 1965 Beatles song remains the most covered song ever with over 3000 versions made?
14. The soundtrack to which 2001 film starring Sean Penn consisted entirely of cover versions of Beatles songs?
I Am Sam
15. Which 2004 cover version by Will Young and Gareth Gates was officially voted the worst Beatles cover version of all time?
The Long And Winding Road
16. What was the name of the tribute album of cover versions which included Wet Wet Wet’s “With A Little Help From My Friends” released in 1988?
Sergeant Pepper Knew My Father
17. Which song was the official Red Nose Day Comic relief song in 1989 as performed by Bananarama, assisted by Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders?
18. Which actor performed a diabolical spoken-word version of “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” on his 1968 album “The Transformed Man”?
Name: Kylie Minogue
2. Je Ne Sais pas Pourquoi
3. Tears On My Pillow
4. Red Blooded Woman
5. Step Back In Time
Round Four: Intros
1. Tom Jones/Cerys Matthews – Baby Its Cold Outside
2. Jamelia - Superstar
3. Sugarbabes - Ugly
4. Morrissey - Suedehead
5. The Style Council – You’re The Best Thing
6. The Jesus And Mary Chain – Happy When It Rains
7. Beth Orton – She Cries Your Name
8. Liberty X – Got To Have Your Love (cover of a Mantronix song)
9. Sleeper – What Do I Do Now?
10. The Only Ones- Another Girl, Another Planet
Round Five: Lyrics
1. …so i can stand on mountains (Westlife)
2. …cos i'm Mr Brightside (Killers)
3. …headmasters breaking all the rules (Madness)
4. …just because i'm in love with an Uptown girl (Westlife)
5. …don't mean i'm in love tonight (Katy Perry)
6. …i'm getting old and i need something to rely on (Keane)
7. …we don’t need no thought control (Pink Floyd)
8. …and did it my way (Sinatra)
9. …and you ain't no friend of mine (Elvis)
10. …i was born to make you happy (Britney)
11. …before you can call him a man (Dylan)
12. …do you feel my heart beating, do you understand? (The Bangles)
13. …you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive (Bee Gees)
14. …or is it just fantasy? (Queen)
15. …its in his kiss (Cher)
16. …there's a row going on down in slough (The Jam)
17. …but you wwere fuckin’ that girl from next door (Lily Allen)
18. …of the mess you left when you went away (Alanis Morrissette)
19. …looking out for the place t go (ABBA)
20. …children hurt you hear them crying (Black Eyed Peas)
21. …none but ourselves can free our minds (Bob Marley)
22. …he knows his claret from his beaujolais (Blur)
23. …her fake Chinese rubber plant (Radiohead)
24. …all across the idiot nation (Green Day)